Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Zucchini with Basil and Goat Cheese on Toast

Few things say comfort like a slice of good bread, toasted or grilled to crispy perfection and slathered with a scrumptious topping. In this Nigel Slater recipe that topping is paper-thin slices of zucchini sautéed in a bit of olive oil and dressed with a mix of lemon, basil olive oil and goat cheese. A plate of late-summer heaven. 
 

Nigel says, "When I have the zucchini out, a quick recipe from the archive that I have been meaning to give a more permanent home for a while now. A good kitchen snack for when you are hungry but don't need a full meal." 


Zucchini with Basil and Goat Cheese on Toast
Adapted from Notes From the Larder
(Enough for 2)

a lemon
basil leaves: 8 large
olive oil 4 Tbsp + a little for frying (I used 2 Tbsp + a bit more)
a small goat cheese
zucchini: 9 oz / 250 g
good white bread: 4 thick slices

Grate the zest from half the lemon into a bowl with a fine grater, then add the juice. Finely shred the basil leaves and drop them in with the lemon, then pour in the olive oil. Add a little salt. Crumble in the goat cheese and stir very gently. 

Rinse the zucchini and dry them. Using a vegetable peeler, slice them very thinly all the way down from one end to the other. Warm a little oil in a trying pan, add the zucchini, and cook until golden. Drop them into the dressing and toss gently.

Make toast with the slices of bread, then pile on the zucchini and their dressing.  


Notes/Results: There isn't anything I didn't like about this dish. Crispy bread (I grilled mine rather than toasting), and that topping--creamy, tangy with a touch of sweetness from the zucchini. Just... YUM! I love how the hot zucchini melted the goat cheese into the dressing. I did reduce the olive oil by about half, no sense in being crazy. I also zested my whole lemon and sprinkled part of it on top of the finished toasts--along with a bit of extra basil and goat cheese crumbles. I would recommend at least a zucchini-and-a-half, if not two zucchinis, for two people in order to get a good 'piling' on the bread. (Or maybe I needed smaller toasts as my large zucchini just covered 2 slices once it was cooked down.) ;-) In any case, the extra will be welcome. I thought this made a fabulous light dinner with a glass of crisp white wine. I will definitely make it again. 


We are going full-speed, Bread Ahead! at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week with recipes featuring bread or other yeasty treats. You can see what everyone makes by checking out the picture links on the post.
 

13 comments:

  1. This looks great, so simple but delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my kind of toast! Anything with veggies and goat cheese, and I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious, Deb! Nigel Slater does it again, with another simple and delicious toast! I've made one of his toast using rosemary paste and it was so good. I would love to give this a try, looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree on the bread! Zucchini are still going strong around here so this recipe is perfect! Such a good idea. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am aboput tired of the variety of gluten free breads we have had but I sure would love to have a mixture of zucchini and goat cheese to eat. Great choice. I will miss Nigel when we move on to another chef.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zucchini are still in season, I like goat cheese, this sounds like a combination I must try. I also had goat cheese this week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Yum!! Makes me wish my zucchini were still growing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my idea of a late summer meal, especially when you mention throwing in a glass of white wine. I say bring on the zucchini. I'd like a good piling on mine ;-) Extra goat cheese too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a perfect combination of ingredients to top a toasty slice of bread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couscous & ConsciousnessSeptember 18, 2014 at 2:48 PM

    I love everything about this, Deb, and this looks like something I will definitely be enjoying in a couple of months time. Probably another month before I put my zucchini plant in the ground, and once that is producing like crazy (as zucchini plants are wont to do), I can imagine making many a lunch just like this. Definitely with that glass of wine on the side!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this recipe out last night and loved it. Hope you don't mind I linked to your post on my blog! http://toryanzalone.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Victoria--I am glad you liked it. It has been one of my favorite Nigel Slater recipes so far. I look forward to checking out your post. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)