Sunday, October 12, 2014

Stew of Baby Potatoes and Artichokes with Lemon and Rosemary: A Provencal-Inspired Ragoût for Souper (Soup, Salad, & Sammie) Sundays


The October 2014 issue of Vegetarian Times is full of recipes I want to make but I was first caught by the article on in-between-season, 30-minute stews and the Baby Potatoes and Artichokes with Lemon and Rosemary. Simple, fast to make and featuring several of my favorite ingredients. I also like how it straddles the gap between late summer and full-on-fall with its lighter, lemony taste profile. 

I made a couple of small changes to the recipe--mainly to give me more (and more flavorful) broth. They are noted in red below.  


Vegetarian Times says, "A Provencal-inspired ragoût is a satisfying supper on its own--just add a salad."

Baby Potatoes and Artichokes with Lemon and Rosemary
Adapted from Vegetarian Times, October 2014
(Serves 4)

3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1 (13.75 oz) can water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and halved
4 cups quartered baby potatoes (I used a mix of colors--Yukon Gold, red, blue, white)
1/3 cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3 cloves)
1 tsp fresh rosemary (I used 2 tsps)
1 tsp grated lemon zest (I used zest from entire lemon)
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock (I used 1 cup)
(I added extra lemon zest and minced fresh parsley to garnish)

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Cook artichoke hearts cut side down in skillet without stirring, 4 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to plate, and set aside. 

Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add potatoes, and season with salt, if desired. Stir, cover pan, reduce heat to medium low, and cook 10 minutes, or until potatoes are deeply golden all over. 

Uncover pan, add artichokes, olives, garlic, rosemary, and lemon zest. Stir 15 to 30 seconds. 

Add broth, cover, and gently simmer 5 to 6 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender and liquid reduces to a light gravy. 

Nutritional Info: Per 1 1/4 Cup Serving: 260 cal; 5g protein; 13g total fat (2g sat fat); 36g carbs; 0mg cholesterol; 266 mg sodium; 9g fiber; -1g sugars

 
Notes/Results: Satisfying but not heavy. The creaminess of the potatoes contrast well with the broth, slightly tangy from the lemon, olives and artichoke hearts. I like that the potatoes and artichoke hearts are browned a bit--it adds more flavor and texture to the dish. I added extra broth to mine to have more liquid to dip bread into and more garlic, rosemary, and lemon zest to flavor the added broth. I think you could add in other veggies of your choice, or even a can of beans for extra protein. Simple and pretty quick to make, I would happily make this stew again. 


We have friends waiting in the Souper Sundays kitchen, let's take a look! 


Debbie of The Friday Friends shares hearty Portuguese Soup and says, "I had not made it in YEARS.  Probably not since the last time I used blustery in a sentence. I challenge you to use blustery in conversation today! So, he likes this soup.  I made it and I loved it so much. To be honest---I didn't remember ever making it. But I must have at least once. I won't wait so long to do so again. It was warm and filled with such good things, beans and corn and peas and kielbasa! You should try it."



Pam of Sidewalk Shoes brings pretty Tarragon Chicken Salad Veronique and says, "As a creature of habit, once I find something I stick with it. Once I found Chicken Salad Veronique from Ina Garten, I never had to look for another tarragon chicken salad. Oh, she calls it chicken salad veronique and I believe in my limited technical food knowledge that the veronique is thanks to the grapes in the salad. But to me the shining factor in the chicken salad is the tarragon, so I make sure to include it in the title."



Janet of The Taste Space offers up Cali-Coco BLT Quinoa Salad and says, "I used my previous recipe for coconut bacon, added half an avocado, a handful of cherry tomatoes, a mound of arugula and then fortified it with cooked quinoa and smoked tofu. Rob thinks the smoked tofu looks like cheese, but I swear it is not. Mash up the avocado with each bite but I will admit I scooped a bit of garlic-infused mayo aioli with each bite as a quasi dressing. Delicious!
 

Thanks to Debbie, Pam and Janet for joining in this week. If you have a soup, salad, or sandwich that you would like to share, just click on the Souper Sundays logo on the sidebar for all of the details.

Have a happy, healthy week! 
 

4 comments:

  1. I must not have gone through that issue of VT that closely, because I seem to have missed this! What a great stew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I just realized how many years it's been since I had Vegetarian Times magazine! They have some great recipes. I happen to have a big jar of artichokes, water packed too, so I may give this one a try.
    My husband isn't crazy about artichokes on there on but mixed in might do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, that looks like a stew where I wouldn't miss the meat! Great round up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great, Deb. I like the pairing of the olives and artichokes!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)